Flowering shrubs are wonderful for creating a natural, living, and colorful hedge in your garden. They also provide the perfect solution to a blank wall or fence that needs something more than a boring brick wall or an untidy concrete fence.
To create a living hedge, choose a shrub that will flower for a long period, ideally flowering for six months or more in your garden.
The majority of flowering shrubs will flower best in the spring and summer.
You know it as a symbol of eternal life and the promise of prosperity. It’s also the best-known plant in North America, so it’s only fitting that our collection of flowering shrubs represents everything a garden should be. From traditional rose varieties to more exotic, low-maintenance choices, you’ll find the best flowering shrubs in our assortment, which spans the seasons and styles and includes everything from hardy, evergreen options to fragrant, spring-blooming favorites. Take a look at what we have to offer, and discover which of the best flowering shrubs will become your favorite new gardening friends.
What are the easiest flowering shrubs to grow?
Nevertheless, they are not all the same. A dwarf cultivar with a spreading habit can be more desirable than a taller variety with a more upright habit. For example
- The dwarf
- Pieris japonica
- ‘Kanzan’ ( Kanzan-daibutsu ) is much easier to maintain than the standard
- P. japonica
- ‘Climbing Fuyu’.
The easiest and most common flowering shrubs are species, which flower all year round. Species, however, are often extremely variable and hard to grow.
Best spring-flowering shrubs
- Best spring-flowering shrubs for home landscaping are Japanese Cherry Blossom, American Cherry Blossom, and Flowering Quince.
- The spring-flowering shrubs for commercial landscaping are Japanese Cherry Blossom, Flowering Quince, Oriental Spirea, and American Cranberrybush.
- Azaleas and rhododendrons are the best shrubs because they flower in spring.
- Dogwoods are the second-best because they flower in spring and summer.
Camellia sinensis is a flowering shrub
- The best way to plant them is in the ground.
- The flowers are beautiful, and the fragrance is amazing.
- The wood is a nice, hardwood.
- They are easy to care for. They are very easy to grow, and they are very inexpensive.
- Camellias make good tea, and they can be eaten raw.
- They can be planted everywhere, so they make a great ground cover.
- You can plant them in a pot, and they will grow just fine.
- Japanese quince shrubs are a very popular plant in Japan, and they make delicious tea.
- These shrubs have beautiful flowers, but their fruit is not good to eat.
- I love these shrubs, but they’re not that easy to grow.
- I like Japanese quince shrubs, but they’re too hard to find in the U.S.
Then I came across these at a garden center in California. They’re called “Jumbo Japanese Quince” and they’re a lot bigger than any Japanese quince shrubs I’ve ever seen.
- I was amazed at how big these are, but I was even more amazed at how easy they were to grow. They’re in a pot, but they don’t need a lot of water.
- I put the Japanese quince shrubs in a sunny window and they’re growing really well.
Azaleas and rhododendrons flowering shrubs
- Rhododendrons are hardy flowers that thrive in many climates, so they’re easy to grow.
- Azaleas bloom in early spring and stay in bloom for a long time.
- Both plants have beautiful flowers, but I like azaleas better.
- I like to watch as the leaves turn from green to red.
- Azaleas are easier to grow and can be found all over.
- Rhododendrons are hardier and only grow in the North East and Midwest.
- The flowers on both types of plants are very pretty.
- I like that the rhododendrons have left, but I hate the azaleas because they don’t.
- Flowering currant shrubs have lots of flowers and berries.
- These shrubs are hardy and can be planted almost anywhere.
- Flowering currant shrubs look cool.
- These shrubs don’t look good if you don’t have a yard.
Flowering currant is an annual plant that has clusters of white or pink flowers borne on long stems in the summer months. It is native to Europe and Asia but was introduced into Australia and New Zealand. It is commonly known as a gooseberry. Currants belong to the genus Ribes, which includes also gooseberries, cranberries, and sea buckthorn. Some varieties of currant are edible, and they may be cooked or eaten raw. The fruit is similar in taste to gooseberries but tarter.
This is a wildflower. It is used as a medicinal plant by indigenous peoples. The leaves are the source of the flavonoids kaempferol and quercetin, which may have antiviral activity.
A wildflower is used as a medicinal plant by many indigenous peoples. The leaves are the source of the flavonoids kaempferol and quercetin, which may have antiviral activity.
The most popular cactus in America is also the most versatile. It can be found growing wild throughout North America and Mexico. The spines along its thick skin
provide protection against the elements, and it’s these same spines that make it a favorite garden plant. It grows well in sunny, well-drained soil, and is easy to care for.
The properties of lilacs are the following:
- Lilacs are beautiful.
- They are easy to grow.
- Lilacs are good to bring along when you go camping.
- It makes your house smell nice.
Lilac shrubs – The first lilacs of spring. When you combine their lovely, soft, pure fragrance with their pretty pink flowers, you’re reminded of the first springtime. These shrubs will bloom for about three months each year. A wonderful choice for a special corner of your yard or to plant near your garden bed. This product is available in 3 sizes: 8 inches tall, 4 inches wide, and 3 inches wide. You’ll receive your order in 2 weeks.
Best summer-flowering shrubs
This is the classic, all-purpose summer flowering shrub. They are hardy, fast-growing, provide year after year of beautiful blooms, and come in a range of sizes from dwarf to full-size. We like to call them “Summer Flowering” because they’re easy to grow, and they’re a great addition to any garden.
- Philadelphus is a big, strong tree that lives in Canada.
- It has a nice smell when it’s flowering.
- Philadelphus is a perennial shrub and vine that blooms in early summer.
- I don’t know why they named it Philadelphus.
In addition to the name of the city, there are two species of Philadelphus, and they look very different. The two species are P. lewisii and P. nuttallii.
- P. lewisii is a big, bushy tree that lives in eastern Canada. It grows up to 50 feet tall and has a thick trunk.
- P. lewisii flowers in early spring. It has big white or pink flowers that grow in clusters.
- Rose bushes grow around rocks, so they are natural rock roses.
- Rose bushes grow in sand, so they are desert roses.
- Roses have thorns, so they are prickly roses.
Deutzia is a flowering shrub
- Deutzias are very easy to care for and grow well in the UK.
- They have a pretty good scent, and they’re pretty hardy plants. Deutzia has no leaves, so it is always green.
- It does not flower, so it is always in bloom.
- Deutzia grows only on the west coast, so it blooms all summer long.
- These are my favorite flowers.
- Lavatera shrubs provide shade and are an excellent alternative to other plants.
- It requires very little maintenance.
- Lavateras grow rapidly and have large leaves that make them good at blocking the sun.
- They need very little maintenance, but they do require regular water.
- Hydrangeas have nice flowers.
- It makes nice cut flowers for a wedding bouquet.
- Hydrangeas are easy to grow and care for.
- These are fun to plant in your garden.
- The flowers look beautiful.
- The stems have a rough texture.
- I like both of them, but the flowers are prettier.
- I think the stems are prettier.
Best autumn-flowering shrubs
Best autumn-flowering shrubs for your garden are:
- It is a common houseplant with a beautiful flower.
- Abelia Grandiflora has nice green leaves that are good to eat when you’re feeling hungry.
- The flowers look pretty when they open up in the morning.
- It’s very easy to care for.
- Ceratostigma is a type of grass that grows around the world’s oceans.
- A large percentage of plants in the ocean are ceratostigma, and they have a unique shape.
- Ceratostigma is used to make leather products, but there are other types of leather that are made from it.
- I like ceratostigma because it’s very rare.
Caryopteris is a flowering shrub
- Caryopteris is one of the best plants around.
- It has amazing colors.
- Caryopteris likes to grow in rocky soil.
- I would not want to be around Caryopteris.
- Caryopteris is a common, evergreen herb that is native to North America.
- It’s not a flower; it’s an herb.
- Caryopteris is great for landscaping.Caryopteris
- It makes good perfume.
- Caryopteris is often used for wreaths.
- The strawberry tree is a type of cherry tree.
- The name “strawberry tree” has no relation to the fruit.
- Strawberry trees are so healthy. They look really pretty too.
- They aren’t poisonous.
- I like the smell of them.
Best winter-flowering shrubs
For winter color and interest, nothing beats a hardy flowering shrub. And these are guaranteed to provide years of colorful blooms.
- Daphne shrubs are great for landscaping because they come back every year.
- They are also great for making your house smell good.
- I like the shape of Daphne’s shrubs.
- Daphne winter shrubs keep you warm in the winter, but it’s hard to grow in an urban environment.
- They have the best scent, and they’re easy to grow.
- Daphne winter shrubs keep the world safe from cancer.
Mahonia is a flowering shrub
- It is an ornamental tree, but it doesn’t actually produce any food.
- Mahonia produces small, purple flowers that smell like strawberries.
- I like the way mahonia trees grow together in a row.
- I don’t like how mahonia trees grow together in a row.
- Viburnums are a type of tree, like maples, that have fruits that make beautiful red berries.
- Viburnums make delicious jams and jellies, so they are popular as ornamental trees.
- They are also called “crab apple” trees because their fruit looks like a crab apple.
- They are very hardy trees and don’t get very big, but they grow quickly, so they are useful for landscaping.
1. Shrubs are great. They don’t take up much space, they’re beautiful and have lots of different varieties to choose from. Here are my top 5 choices for garden shrubs.
2. I’ve done a lot of research on shrubs, and there are some amazing new options available. There are actually new and exciting varieties of almost all of these shrubs.
3. I want to know about your favorite shrubs. What do you like best about them? Leave a comment below.