The main benefits of Honey
The main benefits of honey is its trace element composition. It will help replenish the supply of nutrients: carbohydrates, minerals and trace elements.The benefits of honey such as antibacterial properties and is therefore useful in treating ulcers and skin conditions such as psoriasis, dermatitis, and herpes.One of which benefits of honey is strengthens the immune system and relieves stress.
Honey stimulates digestion and thus improves metabolism. It normalizes acidity in the stomach and gastrointestinal micro flora.Honey is a popular cold remedy that weakens viruses.
Now,we know that about the honey composition before other benefits of honey.
What is honey made of?
The composition of honey is very complex – it contains over 300 substances, some of which have not yet been identified. Almost 80% of the product consists of carbohydrates:
- Glucose – up to 36%. Major energy supplier.
- Fructose – up to 33–42%. Surpasses other carbohydrates in sweetness, under certain conditions it is convert into glucose.
- Disaccharides – from 5 to 10%, mainly presented in the form of sucrose (up to 6%) and maltose (4-6%). Their concentration in honey is determine by its type, most of all maltose is present in linden, much less in sunflower.
- Dextrins. The result of the breakdown of starch as a result of interaction with bee enzymes. Slow down the crystallization of honey.
The proportion of water in the product varies from 15 to 21% and depends on maturity, type, climatic conditions, storage temperature.
Their concentration is 0.04–1.56%. Protein substances to increase the benefits of honey, enter honey together with plant pollen or are formed as a result of exposure to bee saliva, represented by the following enzymes:
- invertase – provides the breakdown of sucrose into fructose and glucose;
- amylase – promotes the breakdown of starch;
- catalase is an enzyme due to which oxidation and reduction processes take place.
Enzymes act as biocatalysts, helping to speed up and more active the course of the reaction.
Important! When heated, enzymes lose their activity, the beneficial properties or benefits of honey disappear!
The special value of honey is that it contains an almost complete set of essential amino acids (valine, isoleucine, lysine and others), that is, those that the human body cannot produce on its own. These substances are needed for biochemical transformations, without them protein synthesis, the main building material for muscles, will not occur.
The proportion of organic acids in the product can be up to 0.1%. They have a significant impact on taste and smell. Fruit acids and lactic acid give honey a pleasant sourness, promote long-term storage, and enzyme activity lasts longer. The acidity of honey mainly depends on the place of collection.
Mineral substances present in honey to increase the benefits of honey, and this is up to 0.02-0.8%, is enough to fully provide the body with vital elements and minerals. 100 g of the product contains 4% of the daily value of zinc, which is not so often found in foods, and copper, about 7% – iron (contributes to the formation of red blood cells), potassium and manganese, about 25% cobalt. To fully saturate the body with minerals, it is enough to consume 1 tablespoon of honey every day.
Honey contains a complex of B vitamins, vitamin C, nicotinamides, retinol, tocopherol, vitamin K. It is noteworthy that they retain useful properties for several years. The concentration of vitamins depends on the properties of the pollen.
In addition to carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins, honey contains pollen, phytoncides – provide the antibacterial effect of the product, aromatic and coloring agents, as well as hormones. The latter have a positive effect on the cardiovascular system. Also, the product contains fungal organisms and yeast, it is they who cause fermentation.
The benefits of honey for the body
The healing properties of honey have long been known – it is recommended to use it not only for treatment, but also for the prevention of diseases and strengthening the immune system. Main benefits of honey or beneficial properties:
- saturation of the body with useful substances: vitamins, minerals, phytoncides;
- antioxidant effect, provided by acids and flavonoids – reduce the likelihood of oncological and cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus;
- lowering blood pressure – it is enough to use honey instead of regular sugar, a side effect is a decrease in cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood;
- pronounced antibacterial effect – honey is used to treat dermatological pathologies, including psoriasis;
- activation of metabolic processes, normalization of acidity in the stomach, correction of the microflora of the gastrointestinal tract;
- strengthening immunity.
The main benefits of honey is actively use to treat viruses and colds – alone or together with other natural products.
Benefits of honey in Pre-workout
To maximize the effect of exercise, it is necessary to provide the body with a sufficient supply of energy, that is, carbohydrates should be consumed. Honey is considere the best source for a number of reasons:
- fast digestibility – up to 60 minutes;
- increased activity and endurance – the athlete tolerates stress better;
- high concentration of carbohydrates – up to 80%, with no fat at all;
- a sharp decrease in blood sugar content, which can cause loss of consciousness, is excluded.
It is preferable to use an aqueous solution of honey, the optimal dose is 1 g per 1 kg of body weight. Experts recommend taking it 30-60 minutes before starting your workout. As a result, the bodybuilder is able to exercise longer and more productively, and feels less tired.
Benefits of Honey after sports training
Promotes active recovery of muscle cells after exercise, it is recommended to use it after exercise or in the evening, before bedtime (on the day of training). The benefits of honey for athletes:
- normalization of energy metabolism after physical exertion;
- slowing down catabolism (the process of cell destruction);
- providing the body with the nutrients necessary for muscle growth;
- antioxidant effect, removal of decay products.
After strength training, the main benefits of honey is to provides protein products, in particular, with beef, chicken, cottage cheese, egg whites. Tea with honey after a workout promotes rapid recovery – keep in mind that nectar retains its beneficial properties at temperatures up to 40 ° C.
Benefits of Honey during exercise
It is recommended to drink honey water if the main goal of training is to build mass. In this case, it is necessary to provide the body with fast carbohydrates in order to avoid the destruction of muscle cells. Trainers recommend using honey at the time of the most active part of the lesson – about 1-1.5 teaspoons. Dissolve honey in warm, but not hot, water.
Also, honey during training will be useful for bodybuilders who are prone to hypotension (low blood pressure) – during peak periods, they may experience dizziness and weakness, which may result in fainting. Thanks to the “recharge” it will be possible to avoid such phenomena and train at the maximum of their physical capabilities.
What kind of honey should you choose?
High protein varieties prefer – predominantly dark. Buckwheat honey, which has a characteristic dark brown color, stands out among them in terms of its composition and properties. It has a rich, bright aroma, after consumption in its pure form, it often causes a sore throat.
Buckwheat honey contains significantly more protein with iron (it is this that can give the product its characteristic reddish tint). Flower nectar collected from chestnuts or meadows has similar properties.
How does honey affect muscle gain?
After consuming honey, the release of glucose occurs gradually – during exercise. Due to this, it is possible to significantly reduce the cost of glycogen during exercise, as a result, the body feels less tired. The athlete is able to train longer with maximum loads.
If, during the period of the most difficult exercises, you reinforce the body with a portion of honey, the muscle power will increase, which means that you will be able to exercise at the limit of your capabilities. Thus, it is possible to achieve the best result. Drinking flower nectar after an intense workout partially neutralizes catecholamine, glucogan and cortisol – these hormones are produced more intensively than usual during stress. Another reason for post-workout honey is closing the carbohydrate window. This effect is especially pronounced when the product is combined with proteins (meat, cottage cheese, egg white).
Regular consumption of honey before, after and during physical activity helps to gain muscle mass. Including due to the active regeneration of cells, the regular supply of nutrients necessary for their full development. Another plus is that the protective properties of muscle cells increase.
In case of individual intolerance or allergies, the use of honey should be abandoned.
Can i eat honey while drying?
The main purpose of body drying is to get rid of subcutaneous fat, thereby improving muscle definition, the body looks more toned and slim. A similar result in bodybuilding is achieved as a result of hard training and special, carbohydrate-free nutrition with an accurate calorie count.
The carbohydrate content of natural honey can reach 80%. Thus, this product is contraindicated during the drying period, so if the desire to taste something sweet has become simply unbearable, it is better to use aspartame, saccharin and other sugar substitutes.
TOP 5 recipes with honey to achieve Benefits of Honey
- Honey with milk and banana. Warm 300 ml of milk to a temperature of 38–42 ⁰С, add 1 tablespoon of flower nectar, banana slices. Beat with a blender until smooth. Consume after exercise.
- Honey with nuts and kefir. Ingredients: raw chicken egg, 1 tablespoon of honey and walnuts, 200 ml of kefir. Mix all products, beat with a mixer. The cocktail is intend to be consume after exercise.
- Honey (50 g) with nut mix (30 g). Nuts can be any: almond, walnut, cashew, forest. Grind the ingredients, mix with 1 glass of orange or grapefruit juice. Great drink after cardio. Drink at least 30 minutes before meals.
- Mix a clove of minced garlic with 1 tablespoon of honey. Use the resulting mass before bedtime. Stimulates the synthesis of growth hormones and testosterone.
- Curd cocktail with honey. 100 g of cottage cheese, finely chopped banana, 1 tablespoon of honey and oatmeal, pour 1 glass of milk, beat into a homogeneous mass. Drink 60 minutes before training.
Harm and contraindications
The bee product has many beneficial properties, however, in some cases it can be harmful. Contraindications:
- allergies and individual intolerance;
- some kidney diseases – you should consult a doctor;
- gastritis in a state of exacerbation;
- acute pancreatitis;
Honey can uses with caution by women during pregnancy. The daily intake should always be taken into account, as exceeding it can cause serious health problems.
Popular myths about honey
Recently, on the Internet and in print media, one can find information about honey that does not correspond to reality. We decided to debunk 10 of the most common myths:
- Honey is an analogue of sugar. In fact, the difference is huge. The only similarity is nutritional value. Honey has a set of useful vitamins and minerals, antibacterial properties, improves immunity – similar properties are absent in sugar.
- Natural honey crystallizes within 4-6 months. The speed of solidification depends on the composition: the more fructose, the longer the product remains liquid.
- Honey from the apiary is inferior in healing properties to that obtained by wild bees. In fact, there is only one type of bee that collects nectar – honeybees. The properties of the product are determine exclusively by climate, plants and storage conditions.
- Dark honey is better than light honey. It is somewhat different in composition, contains more protein and iron, which is why it is recommend for anemia, but in general, both a dark product and a light one have similar properties.
- Honey is a medicine. It uses for medicinal purposes, but in fact it is a food product that can and should use as a prophylaxis or supplement to main therapy.
- When honey is heat, it becomes poisonous, as form toxic substances. This does not correspond to reality, since it initially lacks elements that can harm human health. One thing is certain – under the influence of high temperatures, beneficial properties are irretrievably lost.
- Honey cannot be stored in a transparent container. It is not true. The main thing is the temperature regime and that the material from which the container is made does not interact with the product. Suitable glass, food grade plastic.
Conclusions: buy real honey, observe the storage conditions and do not allow it to heat up to temperatures above 40 ⁰С, and then it will definitely retain its beneficial properties, taste and aroma.
How to distinguish natural honey from fake
Today, the market offers a lot of counterfeit products, as a rule, its price is somewhat lower. We offer several simple options for checking to achieve main benefits of honey:
- Viscosity. A natural product is viscous, heat it up to 20 ⁰С, immerse a spoon in it, then lift it up and slowly rotate – the mass will stretch and wrap around it.
- Wateriness. Checked with a small piece of newspaper – drip a little honey, if it does not spread, then it is natural. A wet footprint? This is a fake. Also, the presence of water can check with a small piece of bread – soaked in natural honey, it usually hardens, in low-quality – softens.
- The presence of impurities. Checked with iodine. Dissolve the honey with a little water, then add a little iodine. Blue staining indicates starch or flour content.
- The presence of chalk. Add some vinegar essence to the honey solution. In the presence of chalk, a characteristic foam will appear, its appearance will be accompanied by a hiss.
- Solid impurities. Dissolve honey in warm water, the appearance of a solid sediment is one of the signs of a poor-quality product.
Be sure to pay attention to the organoleptic indicators. Real honey has a pleasant taste and aroma.